In 2021 the size of the dental bone graft substitutes market was $583.60 million and is expected to reach $995.22 million by 2030, representing a CAGR of 6.11% from 2021 to 2030.
A dental bone graft adds volume and density to your jaw in areas where bone loss has occurred. Dental bone grafts are fillers or scaffolds that enable the bone formation and wound repair and are appropriate for various clinical procedures such as socket filling, ridge volume preservation, and bone formation. Bone grafts can restore functionality without disrupting with attractive appearance. Grafts are placed at numerous places in the mouth cavity for various purposes, including filling a local bony effect caused by infection or trauma and filling a peri-implant defect caused by peri-implantitis.
Dental bone graft substitute market drivers
- The rise in the geriatric population and advancements in surgical procedures like dental implants, bone grafting, and bone regeneration drive the growth of this industry.
- According to the United Nations report on World Population Ageing in 2020, the part of older adults 65 and older will increase from 9.3% in 2020 to 16% by 2050. According to the WHO, untreated dental caries (cavity) is the most common condition, affecting 2.3 billion people worldwide.
- As stated by the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, dental implants have a success rate of more than 95%, and over 5 million people have dental implants in the United States each year.
- The market will grow by rising dental tourism in developing countries. The Asia Pacific region, especially China and India, significantly contributes to this growth.
- The rising cost of graft materials, membranes, implants, and substitutions will increase surgical treatment costs. Furthermore, customization increases the cost of dental tourism, resulting in a higher overall cost.
- Insufficient Reimbursement Structure in developed countries such as Japan, Europe, the United States, and Australia. Even in developing countries, medical insurance plans do not cover expensive medical treatments such as surgical implantations.
Customers’ growing preference for cosmetic dentistry is one of the main opportunities for expanding the dental bone graft substitute market. According to a new survey, 40% of the UK population is unhappy with the appearance of their teeth, with approximately half (48%) planning to undergo cosmetic dental work. Technology, materials, and methods have greatly contributed to cosmetic dental growth.
- By product: synthetic bone graft substitute, xenograft, allograft bone dental, autograft, alloplastic, and others
The Xenograft product segment had the largest revenue share of 21.2% in 2021 because of its easy availability, affordability, long shelf life, sterility, and reduced morbidity. Bio-Oss is one of the most popular xenografts. To increase penetration, key industry players are launching new xenograft products. For example, Marks Biotech Inc. launched Novobone, a xenograft, in 2019 to expand its bone grafting product portfolio.
- By application, the market report has segments like sinus lift, ridge augmentation, implant bone regeneration, socket preservation, and periodontal defect regeneration.
The stock preservation application segment had the largest share of 28.8% of market revenue in 2021. Factors driving the growth of this market are increasing awareness among the people and the rising number of dental implants.
- By end-user, the dental bone graft market has breakdowns like hospitals, dental clinics, ambulatory surgical centers, and others.
As of 2021, the dental clinic end-use segment had the highest revenue share of 75.3%. With an increasing number of dental graft surgeries performed each year, clinics are gaining popularity because of their ease and easy accessibility to surgeons. Compared to hospitals, these clinics can provide safer and faster same-day procedures. Furthermore, rising awareness of the importance of oral health is boosting the market forward. According to the Institute Straumann’s annual report, as of 2020, its experts primarily operated in 1,300 dental clinics and placed 300,000 implants.
- By region, the dental bone graft substitute market covers regions including the Middle East and Africa, North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, and Europe.
North America dominated the global dental bone grafts & substitutes market in 2021. An increasing target population and a growing number of dental implant surgeries drive industry growth.
Major players operating in the dental bone graft substitute market are:
- Johnson & Johnson
- Dentsply Sirona
- Zimmer Dental
- Danaher Corporation
- LifeSciences Corporations