QuickBooks is an accounting software which is popular amongst their users because of the great features and services it provides. One of its important features is that the user has the ability to merge two accounts, if they have duplicate accounts, customers, vendors or suppliers. But once we merge the accounts, there is no looking back. To put it simply, you need to be sure before merging two accounts because the process cannot be reversed.
Also, we need to keep in mind that we can merge only two accounts at a time and both the accounts should be of the same type. To make it possible, you need to change the account type of one to match the other. The account we are trying to move should be on the same parent or sublevel. For instance, if one of the accounts is a sub account and you are trying to merge it into a parent account, then it won’t be possible.
Steps to Merge Accounts in QuickBooks:
We will share the simple steps to merge two accounts in QuickBooks. The user can easily follow these steps and get their work done in a short time. As mentioned earlier, the only thing to be kept in mind is that this process is irreversible and the two accounts should be of the same type. So you need to ensure that you do not perform these steps in haste and make sure that you really want to do this.
Let’s proceed towards the steps to merge account:
- Firstly, go to the ‘Settings’ tab and from below settings, choose the option ‘Chart of Accounts’.
- Right click on the account you want to keep and click on the “Edit Account” you will find it in the Action column drop down.
- Write the name, detail type and then check whether the sub-account option is selected or not.
- If it is a sub account, then you need to make sure that the parent account is linked with it.
- After this, you can select the option ‘Cancel’ to go back to the ‘Chart of Accounts’.
- Select the account that you don’t want to use further and then choose the Edit option from the Action button.
- Now, enter the name, detail and select its sub-account. Make sure that the sub-accounts are under the same parents account so that merging can be hassle free.
- Permission will not be granted for merging the accounts if the parent accounts are known for having existing sub-accounts.
- At last, choose the save option and then select the ‘Yes’ option.
Steps to Merge Customers in QuickBooks Online:
If you wish to merge customers in QuickBooks online that means you want to remove a customer from the list of customers. Merging duplicate customers online can be done following the simple steps given below:
- Make sure that the customer is not in the list of sub-customers because in that case you cannot merge the customers.
- Sublevels of the customers you wish to merge should be the same.
- Now, go to the ‘Sales’ section and then select the ‘Customers’ option.
- Select the customer name which you want to be removed and click on the ‘Edit’.
- Now enter the name in the field of ‘Display name as’ and then ‘Save’ it.
- Click on “Yes” and confirm it.
Steps to Merge Vendors in QuickBooks Online:
Merging Vendors in QuickBooks online is quite simple. You just need to copy all your important information over the name in which you are going to merge vendors.
- From the ‘Expenses’ menu click on the ‘Vendors’ option.
- Choose the vendor name that you want to use and then click on the ‘Edit’ option.
- You need to create an identical vendor of the vendor you are going to merge into. This can be done by changing the title, name and suffix.
- Make sure that both the names are the same and then save it.
QuickBooks makes it easier for the users by giving the option to merge accounts and this helps in accumulating all the details in one account. In this article we have shared all the steps to merge two accounts. But in case this is overwhelming for you and you do not want to go through the process of it, you can connect to our team of experts and get this done in no time.
You can also read: QuickBooks error h505