Import OST Files in Outlook
User Query #1:
Hello all! I am an Outlook user for the last five years. Currently, I am dealing with exchange server downtime and hence, cannot open or access my emails. I do have OST files of the said emails but I am not aware of how to Import OST files in Outlook. If anyone could share any solutions, it will be appreciated. Thanks.
User Query #2:
Hi everyone! Recently I have bought a new computer. Now I have Outlook installed on that computer as well. But, I want to import my old outlook emails into my new Outlook. I am not sure how to do it. So, I am looking for how I can Import OST into Outlook. Please do share if you have any suggestions or solutions. Thank you in advance.
There could be a lot of reasons why users want to Import OST files into Outlook. A few are mentioned above in the stated user queries. If you also have similar or the same queries then, you have come to the right post.
We have drafted this technical write-up to guide you through the process of how to import OST files into Outlook. Keep reading to find out all the solutions.
What are OST Files?
OST stands for Offline Storage Table. When configured with the exchanged server, Outlook saves a copy of the server mailbox into your local drive i.e. in OST file format. These Outlook OST files allow us to open and access our emails, calendars, notes or other items even in offline mode.
Therefore, Outlook files are significant, especially for large organisations and businesspersons.
Furthermore, a lesser-known fact by Outlook users is that the OST file gets divided into two types when converting. One is Exchanged OST file and the other is an Orphaned OST file.
The exchanged OST files are linked with the server and Outlook. Thus, it is easy and feasible to import these files. In fact, there are multiple methods to do so.
On the other hand, orphaned OST files are not connected to the server and hence are deemed, orphans. These files are neither accessible nor importable.
Let’s move on to how you can import OST files in Outlook. Whether Exchanged or Orphaned.
Methods to Import OST Files in Outlook
In this write-up, we will share both manual and automated methods you can use to import your OST files.
Manual methods can import OST to Outlook 2019, 2016, 2010 etc. And for the automated method, we will use the SysTools OST Converter. However, you cannot import other items such as contacts using a manual method. In addition to that, you cannot import an orphan OST file in outlook either.
Therefore, experts advise using a professional solution to import OST to Outlook 2019, 2016, 2010 etc. in a safe manner. Whether exchanged or orphaned.
Let’s start with the methods.
Import OST Files in Outlook with the Manual Approach
The manual approach to import OST into Outlook uses the Import Export Wizard. It is an inbuilt utility in Outlook. Here is how to use it to import OST files.
To carry on with the process, follow the steps provided below.
- Open Outlook on your computer.
- Go to File.
- In the File menu, select the Open & Export option >> Import/Export.
- Click Next.
- Then, select the Outlook profile or folder in which you want to import the files.
- Finally, browse the folder to save the files and click Finish.
This method may seem simple to execute but, in reality, it has several limitations. Such as:
- You cannot import multiple OST files at once.
- There are chances that your OST file might get divided into numerous PST files. In consequence, you may suffer data loss.
- If you try to import several OST files, it might take you months to do so.
To steer clear of all this hassle, experts recommend going for a professional tool. Let’s further move on to how you can use an automated solution for this task.
Import OST Files in Outlook with an Automated Software
Choosing a professional solution is the best option in situations that involve risks like data loss. We brought a great option for it: SysTools OST to PST Converter. This amazing utility not only imports OST into Outlook in a safe manner but, also provides a myriad of extraordinary features.
Notable Features of OST Converter
- Converts all types of (corrupted or damaged) OST files into PST format.
- Offers numerous advanced filters. For instance, the Date Filter, Split PST File and the Category filter.
- Has the ability to preserve the metadata after conversion.
- One can convert single as well as multiple OST files at a time.
- Is able to export large/corrupted/inaccessible/orphaned OST files as well.
- Supports Outlook 2021 and other earlier versions.
Now that we have familiarized ourselves with the various amazing features of this tool. It’s time to move on to the steps to take to execute the process.
Steps to import OST files in Outlook
- Click on the Add file option.
- Upon adding the OST files, click Export.
- Select the PST option in the Export Type menu.
- Use the advanced filters according to your requirements.
- Browse the location folder for saving the files.
- Click Finish.
That is all! A few simple and easy steps to implement the process to import OST files in Outlook.
In this article, we have shared with you both manual and automated techniques to import OST into Outlook. Whichever one you choose, depends solely on your needs. Hopefully, you will find this write-up helpful.
Read More: 5 Digital Marketing Trends for 2022